It’s been a while since I’ve written about beauty, but there have still been birchboxes and ipsy and many fun products I’ve tried. Here are a few of my more recent faves, many of which have made it into my regular rotation, if not my everyday (ignore the well-loved bottles, as these are seriously well-loved):
- Smashbox Hydrating Under Eye Primer This sounds like a lot things, but as a gal that’s been battling some serious under eye circles and incoming lines (hello to my thirties!) this stuff does the job. A nice eye cream plus this primer is awesome for every day.
- Smashbox Bing Lipstick I will swear by this red for the rest of my life and when they discontinue it to make room for new and exciting colors, I will cry and cry. I better stock up now. Best red I’ve ever worn. Great staying power too.
- Perlier Intensive Moisturizing Body Balm This stuff smells and feels amazing. Shea butter with a light almond scent and super moisturizing power. At the end of the day my skin still feels great. Only thing keeping scaly winter skin in check!
- Living proof Full Thickening Cream With this baby fine greasy hair, products are not always my friend. And sometimes it feels like I’ve tried them all in an attempt to build volume. This leaves my hair feeling bouncy but not sticky and works perfectly in conjuction with my other fave hair powder.
- Clinique Turnaround Overnight Ok this isn’t a new one, but it’s a renewed one. I used this exfoliating cream religiously in my early twenties, and it staved off basically every breakout while keeping my skin super soft. It was discontinued for a bit, but came back in a new gentler and more moisturizing formula that I initially questioned, but is actually perfect for my now combination, slightly drier skin. I use it 3-4 nights a week and after just a month I can see how much clearer my skin is again.
- Dr Brandt Pores No More Primer Obviously I love Smashbox, and after months of using their fabulous foundation primer, it was finally beat out by this beauty. They are both great products, but this one feels lighter on my skin and has just a bit more staying power. Despite my slightly drier skin, I still have the oiliest t-zone around and this is the first thing that’s kept makeup on my nose all day. Miracle cream!
I am terrible at seflies, but seriously this lipstick is perfection:
What about you? Any great new beauty finds lately? I’m always on the lookout for something new!
Now that I’ve cut my hair, I’ve only managed two styles so far, smooth & sleek and a little tussled. It’s been a few weeks now and definitely time that I start mixing up the routine. The first one that caught my eye was Indie Jane‘s faux side shave. I’ve been a little green with envy over the side-shave look, but am not quite brave enough to take the plunge. This is the perfect way to give it a little test run!
[click each of the photos for the tutorial]
This gorgeous updo from Keiko Lynn is a lovely way to dress it all up a bit. I’m going to have to work on my scarf tying abilities!
And for super special days, I love the look of this vintage style victory roll. And that color is just gorgeous!
I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of trying new products every month! Each box I’ve gotten has been full of fun new items, and at least one clear winner that’s made it into my regular rotation. This month? A bright new exfoliating cream, and maybe a couple other things too!
- Keratherapy Keratin Infused Daily Smoothing Cream If I went for a sleek look more often, I think this would be my go-to, but for my fine, limp hair, it was a just a bit heavy for every day. I’ll probably use this a few times, but not enough to justify buying it.
- Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss Definitely moisturizing! The color didn’t have a lot of staying power, but it left my lips feeling soft and smooth. Like it, but not love it.
- Ruffian The Crowdsourced Collection in Fox Hunt Gorgeous! This is quality nail polish. Just one coat did the trick and the color is vibrant. Now I just need to find the perfect deep blue to pair it with for fall…
- Serge Normant Meta Luxe Hair Spray This hair spray is pretty fabulous. It holds, but leaves my hair feeling natural. No helmet head here! It’s a little on the pricey side, but just might be worth it. I don’t know if I can go back to my old drug store brand after weeks of better hair days.
- Grand Central Beauty SMART Skin Perfecting Polisher I love an exfoliating cream. There was a Clinique one I used for years that kept my skin bright, but was discontinued. They had a close replacement, but it’s a little too gently for my combination skin. This could be my replacement. It definitely packs a pow. My skin felt bright and new after only one use, but just like other exfoliators, try not too use it too often or you’ll end up stripping your skin. This one will be perfect twice a week to slough off the dead, dull skin and bring back a little radiance!
Want to try BirchBox? Sign up here.
August’s box was so good! Two new items I’ll be stocking up on, and 3 others I definitely enjoyed…
- WEI Pomegranate Buffing Beads This is my favorite new thing. I added these buffing beads to my favorite cleanser and voila! The perfect exfoliant for my skin. I’m in love.
- Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer It’s organic! I didn’t realize it the first time I used a Juice product. This moisturizer is clean and light. Maybe a little too light for my skin though. I need something a bit more balancing for my combination skin.
- uniqONE Hair Treatment This is a great alternative to the leave in moisturizer I’ve been using sometimes. My hair felt smooth and sleek, and my ends a little less fried after the flat iron.
- LA Fresh Cleansing Wipes I love a great face cleanser in an easy-to-use form. This one definitely did the job and came in cute little single serve packs. It was also much milder than most cleansing wipes I’ve tried. Great for pre or post workout!
- ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick The one! This lipstick is awesome. The color definitely stuck around all day. It was almost a lip stain & lipstick in one. I will be picking up the classic trio in all the fun bright shades. This might be my favorite lipstick ever.
Want to try BirchBox? Sign up here.
Worth every penny. That’s what I would say about this subscription. I’ve found so many new & awesome products through Birchbox in just a few short months. And most of the samples are pretty significant! Some have lasted weeks and weeks! This box holds a few new favorites of mine.
- theBalm InStain Long-Wearing Blush This blush is no joke! I’ve tried and liked long wearing blushes before, but this one has some serious staying power. I love to rock a bold blush look now & again, and with this I never need to reapply, even at the end of a long day. Although it’s great for a subtle look too. I’m pretty impressed and look forward to trying this in a few of the colors. My sample is in Swiss Dot Peach, which is lovely, but I might try a cooler tone next.
- DDF Acne Control Treatment While I don’t breakout often anymore, DDF is a tried & true brand for me when it comes to all levels of breakouts. Any flare-ups seemed to dimish overnight with this light cream. Great to have on hand, just in case!
- Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect I rarely use a detangler now that I fell in love with Davines shampoo & conditioner, but I will keep this one around for the summer. It’s a little heavier than my volumizing conditioner, but not by much, and will be great during this long hot season, as my hair get ravaged by sun and sea (and styling!). My hair felt smoother all day.
- Birchbox Bobby Pins Adorable! Great bonus gift this month.
- Benefit It’s Potent! Eye cream Love the texture of this eye cream. It feels rich, but soaked it quickly. The scent was incredibly light and this is going on my list of things to order once my little sample runs out!
Want to try BirchBox? Sign up here. You just might fall in love too.
I chopped all my hair off last weekend and couldn’t be happier! Usually when I feel like I need a change, it ends up being the same old hair in a slightly different shade of brown, but this time I actually went for it. And with new hair came a slew of new hair product suggestions, but there’s one I fell in aboslute love with – this OSiS dust it texturizer! It’s a hair powder that adds body and texture and I’m completely obsessed. I don’t know what I ever did without it.
… and the new hair!
images via instagram