I admit it. I’m a product junkie. Totally infatuated with Birchbox. And I needed more. Ok, maybe needed is a strong word, but I love testing out new beauty products before taking the plunge, and I love testing a million new things to find a million new favorites. I like Ipsy because it’s a community, where people share looks and how-to’s. They aren’t selling the full size product, although they have links to buy it elsewhere. Although I love the Birchbox program where you earn points toward product. Ah! Luckily I don’t have to choose :)
- Avene Thermal Spring Water spray I love keeping these on hand for travel, or on the nightstand! Any time I’m feeling a little dehydrated, this does the trick!
- Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer The texture of this is great. Although the color is a bit dark for my fair complexion, it works perfectly as a contour color. I hadn’t tried too many Too Faced products before, but I’ll definitely be giving more a try after this one.
- Hang Ten Sunscreen I tried this out on the hottest day in Seattle yet – it was almost 80 this weekend! We hit the nearest beach and laid in the sun all afternoon. Amazingly, I didn’t even get a little pink, even without reapplying.
- Pacifica Shadow Duo The lighter tone of this duo was a little pinker than I usually use for a base, but it was a nice and subtle change from my usual neutral. With a sweep of the more golden tone over my lid, the combo is super flattering and great for every day. I love the texture too, super fine with a perfectly soft shimmer.
- Eva NYC Hair Mask Obsessed! I just squeezed the very last drop out this morning and I’m sad I don’t have another bottle on hand yet. This hair mask is perfect. My hair was a little fried from too much sun, styling and clarifying shampoos, and this did the trick. My hair was back to healthy in just a day or two, and I’ve used it lightly every other day as a regular conditioner since. I’m looking forward to trying more from this brand!
Want to try Ipsy? Sign up here.
CoverGirl‘s new line inspired by the newest Hunger Games, Catching Fire is fabulous! The costumes and styling here are so fun and glamorous. Gorgeous color combinations! I’m definitely inspired to try something a little different with my makeup tomorrow.
images via covergirl
h/t to gradient lair
I am thrilled! Always a winner in these, sometimes a few. And now I have a new favorite…
- theBalm Stainiac Lip & Cheek Stain This is the perfect soft pink. I don’t often use a cheek stain because bolder blush is usually the look I go for, but for a lovely, slightly flushed, natural look, I would definitely recommend this. It provides just the right tint for either lips or cheeks.
- Shea Terra Organics Deep Pore Facial Cleanser My new favorite thing! I’ve been lamenting over the loss of my favorite exfoliating cream for a while now and haden’t found anything that will do the job right, until now! My skin is bright and clean and free from dead, flaky skin. I’ve been using it every other day – I already ordered a full bottle!
- Alison Raffaele Reality Base Foundation Although the color I was sent wasn’t quite right (I guess I didn’t quite communicate how truly pale I am!), the texture of this foundation was quite nice. I usually wear a full coverage foundation, but this light oil-free version is great for a more natural, moderate coverage look.
- DDF Wrinkle Resist plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum The days I wore it my skin felt softer and my pores definitely looked minimized, but I broke out a bit and there might be too much stuff going on here. At least for my skin.
- ChapStick Hydration Lock I’m a big chapstick fan. I generally always have one in my purse. This one is a bit more hydrating and heavy duty than usual. A little too matte for my every day go-to, but I’ll keep it around and it will definitely do the job when needed this winter!
Want to try BirchBox? Sign up here.
Oh man, this one was a winner! I loved every product and the cute travel themed postcard set that was included. BirchBox is tied for my favorite monthly subscription [with Rocksbox] and I most definitely have tried more than a few! Part of it is being an ex-cosmetics sales rep & artist and part is my obsession with great new beauty products that is fulfilled every month with this tiny box of awesome.
- Color Club Wanderlust Nail Collection: London Calling. This bright, nearly neon green jumped out at me the moment I opened the box – so much that I sat down and put it on right there. I love it! Great texture and it held up through two nights so far! $8 for four colors is quite the steal.
- Youngblood Hi-Definition Hydrating Mineral Perfecting Powder is awesome. I have a super oily t-zone and my pores disappeared the moment I dusted this on. I’ll definitely be tossing out my old powder and adding this to my daily routine. Stood up to a late night party in a warm, muggy bar. My skin looked great all evening.
- Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk has a great texture. It feels so much lighter and fresher than most of the dry shampoos I’ve tried. My hair felt much less powdery and more like I had recently washed it. I don’t use dry shampoos often, because I’m still a shampoo-almost-every-day kind of girl, but I’ll go to this one first next time I need it.
- 29 Preserves Skin Care Collection Sunday morning I woke up after a long night out with thirsty, tired skin. I broke open the Serum Extract and felt instantly revived. It was rich yet light and soaked into my dry skin, immediately making it feel fresh and soft. The Eye Emulsion saved my sad tired eyes. The scent wasn’t my favorite, but it wasn’t the worst either. That night I tried the Cream Cleanser and was completely wowed. I haven’t tried a cream cleanser in years because my skin is fairly oily, but this one left my face feeling clean and bright. And the scent was delicious! The Night Moisture came last and was lovely, but nothing to shout about. The serum and the cleanser are definitely on my list of favorites.
Want to try BirchBox? Sign up here.
images via my iphone
How fast 9 months flies! Back in September I tried lash extensions for the first time and have been obsessed ever since. I love the way they look, with or without makeup. I forgo eyeliner occasionally, which I never did before. And I look fabulous from the moment I wake up in the morning. I’m a little more delicate when washing around my eyes, but that’s probably better for them all around.
I’ve heard stories about people getting their eyes glued shut (temporarily!) and other issues, but I’ve never had any problems myself – just make sure you have a qualified and recommended technician. If you’re here in Seattle and looking, let me know… I know a great gal! My mom, sister and a couple of friends are hooked now too. I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to just mascara. I just can’t give up these beauties!
These are my lashes! I love them.
photo via instagram
About a month ago I found out a good friend of mine is working at a salon doing lash extensions. A few of my girl friends and I had been discussing it for a while and I decided to give it a whirl. I worked in cosmetics for years as a makeup artist years ago and haven’t left the house without mascara since I was in my teens, so the idea of trying it was a bit strange but tempting. It’s been about 3 weeks now and I must admit I’m in love! Not only did I give up mascara, but eyeliner too. My world has turned upside down! Well, at least in terms of cosmetics.
I just got my first fill this morning and couldn’t be more happier. Love these lashes! And Husband is happier my makeup routine is about 5 minutes shorter. What about you? Have you ever tried it? Any other beauty fads you’re into? It’s been about 5 years since I worked in the industry, but I still love trying out all the hot new options!
Back from a temporary hiatus! It was a long week and then a friend’s swanky birthday weekend in Portland. I am beat! The one productive thing I did last week was get my hair done. My color was sad, washed out – it was long overdue. I got to chatting with my favorite gal about maybe doing something a bit more interesting next time, so we set an appointment to put a panel of purple in my bangs. Eep! Hopefully I won’t chicken out; I never do anything fun. I need to start working on actual style too. This lovely lady’s tough hair inspired me to seek out one with a little more oomph.
via aesthetic senses
via rocknroll bride
My mother has been raving about these new hair products for months, and then over our Portland weekend she showed me all her new ‘little baby hairs’ (as she likes to call them). While I’m generally a pretty serious skeptic about hair product, she did have quite a bit of new growth.
And then she pulls out a bag full of product – for me! What a sweet mommy! She definitely knows how much I despise my thin, flat, lifeless hair – we lament over our sad hair genes all the time.
All I dream of is volume! I even tried the Rogaine shampoo once, but didn’t really notice a difference. But after seeing the thrill on my mother’s face, I’m ready to give it a shot.
It’s only been a few days, but I’m already a bit in love. The tingle! The Kleen shampoo and Mint conditioner are such a magic combo, my scalp feels amazing. But it’s the thickening serum that’s really got me. Starts tingling right away, which practically has me convinced it’s working already.
I’ll let you know when I start seeing my own new little baby hairs sprouting up!
Confession time: It may have been this photo of the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer from Miki’s facebook that convinced me this stuff must be awesome.
Happy Friday! The happiest of Fridays for me. I’m not quite done with jury duty, but my new job promotion starts officially on Monday! Hooray! Whenever a big change comes along in my life, I like to make a small one to ring it in. Generally, that means new sheets when I move into a new apartment, but this time I’m thinking new hair. My amazing hair stylist is going to be so excited. Usually when I comes to my hair, I am rather, um, boring. I chopped it off once in high school, and went from blonde to brunette a few years back, but other than that? … Yeah. Not much.
While I’d love to do something totally out there, this isn’t quite the time to do it. So I’m thinking something fun, stylish and just a bit more grown up than my current lack of style.
Lavender. Some day.