Lemon Quinoa Cilantro Chickpea Salad

When it starts getting hot out, I’m not up for cooking often. And lately I’ve been making summer salads more often than not. My pantry is always stuffed with grains, and I’m always looking for a new way to serve up my seeming never-ending supply of quinoa.

Lemon Quinoa Cilantro Chickpea Salad
adapted from the diva dish

1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
15 oz can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 avocados, diced
2 cups chopped spinach
1 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup sweet onion
2 small cloves garlic

For the dressing:
Juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
dash of salt and pepper

Bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the quinoa. Bring back to a boil and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid. Remove from heat and let stand for 1-15 minutes. In a food processor, add your spinach and cilantro. Process the greens until they are finely diced. Add the greens to a bowl, and set aside. Next finely dice your onion and garlic and add to the greens mixture. Add your chickpeas and stir until everything is combined and coated. When the quinoa is cooled, add it to the chickpea mixture. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad, and mix until combined. Add in tomatoes and avocado and mix. Set in fridge for about 10-15 minutes before serving to set the flavors.

About these ads
19 comments
  1. Adrienne said:

Made this tonight and it was amazing! Very easy and perfect for a hot summer day…..thank you!

2. Melinda said:

CRAZY amazing! The flavors were deliciously fresh. This will be a keeper for my family!

• I’d say about 4 medium sized servings, but sometimes my husband and I can take down the whole thing as a main course together :)

3. I hate cilantro–is there something I can substitute? Thanks

• raudette said:

I bet either parsley or dill would be great too! Let me know how it turns out!

• Thanks. It’ll be a while, but I’m saving this.

4. Sandra ltb said:

looks really good – thanks!
    Sandra ltb

5. elizabeth said:

this looks wonderful! thank you for sharing. can it be made a day in advance? is there enough lemon to keep the avocados from turning?

• Oh I bet it can! I haven’t tried it before, but I’m thinking you’re right – there is probably enough lemon juice to keep the avocados. Let me know how it turns out!

6. Pingback: Slow Down

7. Alex said:

What size can did you use for the garbanzos? I found two sizes at the store but I’d like to double check with you. TIA.

• Great catch! It was a 15oz can.
      Thank you! I’ve updated the recipe above.

• Alex said:

Thanks!! I’m excited I’m all ready to have this for lunch =)